Sunday, October 23, 2011

First Post

This is my first post ever on Blogger.com. I am just trying to figure out the basics of the site. I would like to be able to write long post about maps and cartography techniques that I find interesting or useful.  I am a Geography major at The University of  Maryland, Baltimore County and I am also trying to get my Geographic Information Systems certificate.  I recently started an internship with the Citizens Housing and Planning Association in Baltimore City.  I have a real passion for maps. I am fascinated with all aspects of them. From their earliest forms when they where more of an art than a science to today with all the applications mapping has in today's interconnected world.  Through this blog I hope that I will be able to spread my passion for cartography with others and interact with individuals with similar interests as me.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the geoblogosphere, Michael! I'm always looking forward to discovering cool maps, so I'm excited to see where this blog leads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a UMBC geography grad (1999) and I finished the MPS in GIS at Shady Grove in 2010. Very excited to find your blog! I love seeing others who share an enthusiasm for maps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I am very interested about how the job market for someone with a Geography degree looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the Dept. of Labor reported sometime sort of recently that the field of GIS-type jobs was one of the few that was still strong. Not sure where you are hoping to end up after you finish but in the DC area the fed has a number of agencies that hire Geography-types.

    ReplyDelete